Stablebot Design Update

1 comment


I’ve updated these parts of my design theory:


  • Switched around to a Maxwell-style mount – 10mm ball on the bed, couplers on the Rail Pieces

  • For now, no Steel Spring Sheet. The plan is to mount the PEI directly to the bed for now, removes just one little bit of complexity.


  • Steel Core was a bad idea. Switching back to regular Fiberglass-reinforced GT2 belts.


  • Z+Y axis was Counterbored for 80-20 anchors.

  • L brackets are not stiff enough for a large machine. I will be making custom corner gussets out of additional 2040 pcs that will go across the back.

    • This will significantly stiffen the machine and doesn’t add much cost, only effort to properly counterbore the mitered pieces.

  • Turns out Menards sells 8’x4’ ¼” HDPE sheets in black for around $50. This is what I’ll be using for my rear panel as well as the future enclosing parts.


  • Downgraded to 5” touchscreen, but upgraded to capacitive and higher-resolution

    •  Initially identified screen had compatibility issues with the RPI

  • Will be creating PCB to take the power from any ATX power supply to split it out into its component voltages

    • Will be capable of ~30A on the high-voltage side

    • Has USB connector for 5V SB, so PI can be powered on at all times

      • Allows remote wake up for scheduled prints

    • PCB will be available for sale by itself.

    • Mosfets will be used to provide polarity protection for units down stream

    • Will be more costly than diodes, but avoids a pretty big voltage drop from a safety diode.

  • Will be switching to toolchanger independent boards instead of the 3HC board, as the e3d Hermes seems to be the best option for modular tools

  • Will have fully separated high-voltage and low-voltage sides – Means that when you’re operating on your wiring in the back, you’ll not have to worry about touching some powerful wires and getting zapped!


New features I want to try:

  • Adding Spaghetti Detective support into duet!

  • Automated tool addition with home “server” to allow for tool swapping between machines

  • Automatic backlash calibration using probe

Some lessons learned:

Pieces bought from are significantly more expensive on top of NOT being the European standard. I was very used to being able to use hammer nuts in the European-style extrusion (drop in, don’t have to pre-place the parts/hardware. Would not recommend, but I didn’t know of any other places that had 20-4040 extrusion in the lengths I needed. It also didn’t tap on the ends as well as I expected it

Hardware, Hardware, Hardware – I’ve run out of every piece of hardware that I thought I had plenty of -m3x8mm for the linear rails, m5x8mm for the extrusion, hammer nuts, and a few other things. Crazy. Figure out what you think you need, and triple it. Just do it.


I’ll have a build log in the next few days posted with my current progress. Pretty pleased overall with how its coming together.

 Stay Tuned!

1 comment

Eric Jones
Eric Jones

Good day,

My name is Eric and unlike a lot of emails you might get, I wanted to instead provide you with a word of encouragement – Congratulations

What for?

Part of my job is to check out websites and the work you’ve done with definitely stands out.

It’s clear you took building a website seriously and made a real investment of time and resources into making it top quality.

There is, however, a catch… more accurately, a question…

So when someone like me happens to find your site – maybe at the top of the search results (nice job BTW) or just through a random link, how do you know?

More importantly, how do you make a connection with that person?

Studies show that 7 out of 10 visitors don’t stick around – they’re there one second and then gone with the wind.

Here’s a way to create INSTANT engagement that you may not have known about…

Talk With Web Visitor is a software widget that’s works on your site, ready to capture any visitor’s Name, Email address and Phone Number. It lets you know INSTANTLY that they’re interested – so that you can talk to that lead while they’re literally checking out

CLICK HERE to try out a Live Demo with Talk With Web Visitor now to see exactly how it works.

It could be a game-changer for your business – and it gets even better… once you’ve captured their phone number, with our new SMS Text With Lead feature, you can automatically start a text (SMS) conversation – immediately (and there’s literally a 100X difference between contacting someone within 5 minutes versus 30 minutes.)

Plus then, even if you don’t close a deal right away, you can connect later on with text messages for new offers, content links, even just follow up notes to build a relationship.

Everything I’ve just described is simple, easy, and effective.

CLICK HERE to discover what Talk With Web Visitor can do for your business.

You could be converting up to 100X more leads today!

PS: Talk With Web Visitor offers a FREE 14 days trial – and it even includes International Long Distance Calling.
You have customers waiting to talk with you right now… don’t keep them waiting.
CLICK HERE to try Talk With Web Visitor now.

If you’d like to unsubscribe click here

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.